I LOVE a Caprese Salad, so basic, so fresh. And, because cheese.
We’ve had house guests for the past two weeks, so the rich food and wine has been abundant. We are craving vegetables like never before, fresh ingredients, and protein.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 large tomato
- Sliced fresh mozzarella (if you freeze for an hour before hand, much easier to slice)
- fresh basil
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar
- Place stock and dried basil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Add chicken. Return to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from heat. Stand chicken in liquid for 5 minutes. Remove chicken.
- Slice chicken and season lightly with salt & pepper
- Spread mayo on both piece of toast. Fan chicken slices across
- Slice tomato & mozzarella, place on top of chicken
- For a Caprese Chicken Melt, pop open faced sandwich in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melty.
- For a fresh sandwich, garnish with fresh basil, drizzle with oil & vinegar, and serve. For a slightly more filling meal, top with rocket
Wine Pairing: Serve with a dry, oaky Chardonnay