Channeling my inner 90’s suburbia mom today. All jokes aside, this dish is a crowd pleaser (read: man and child pleaser). It’s easy, delicious, and includes some vegetables! (See? Everybody wins.)
Dorito Taco Casserole
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1 regular bag Nacho Cheese Doritos, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 package Old El Paso taco seasoning
- 16oz of cheese. You can get as creative as you’d like here, or stick with the trusty old 1/2 cheddar, 1/2 mozza
- 1/3 cup jalapeños (skip these if you don’t like spice, add more if you like it really spicy)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 a head of lettuce, shredded
Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat, crumble ground beef into pan, brown off, stir in seasoning. Drain fat.
Layer ingredients evenly in 9 x 13 pan in order listed above: crushed chips, meat, 2/3 of cheese, jalapeños, lettuce, tomato, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees F (176C) for 15 minutes.
(Yes, you bake the lettuce. It’s only for 15 minutes, so it retains most of it’s crunchy-ness, and tastes delicious this way.) Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired, but I don’t find it necessary.
Wine Pairing: I’m not sure I would ever drink wine with this… it’s like wearing pearls to a monster truck event. Stick with beer.