For The Glutton’s
Gravy is an art form. It can make or break a dish, in my opinion. I love experimenting with different flavours, but we all need that go-to gravy recipe. Here’s yours (it’ll work for chicken, turkey or beef). This recipe goes perfectly with my Perfect Roast Fowl recipe.
- Pan used to roast meat
- 2 tbsp butter/olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 1/3 cup flour (for gluten free option, skip this, add 2 tbsp cornflour and 1/3 cup water later on)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups potato/vegetable water (reserved from boiling veg), use stock if this is not available
- 2 cups stock- one cube chicken, one cube beef, whisked together
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp sour cream
Once you’ve removed the meat from the roasting pan, place it on the stove, and heat it back up again. Melt in the butter/olive oil, throw in bay leaf, thyme, and shallot and cook until it softens and becomes fragrant. Stir in flour (for gluten free, skip this step). Keep stirring until it thickens, absorbs the liquid, and begins to brown. Slowly pour in veg stock, stirring constantly and allowing to thicken before adding more. Stir in meat stock.
(If you’re making Gluten Free gravy, this is the point at which you stir in the cornflour/water mixture.)
Stir in paprika, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce. Simmer 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream. Serve.